ABILENE, Texas - The driver who struck and killed a pedestrian Wednesday morning has been upgraded from critical to fair condition.
A 76-year-old Abilene woman was killed Wednesday after she was struck by an SUV driven by 54-year-old Redalpho Bermea, of Tye. Bermea is being cared for at Hendrick Medical Center.
The accident happened in the 3000 block of South 1st Street.
After striking Barbara Anne Hackett, police say Bermea's 2001 Chevy Blazer sailed across the railroad tracks separating South 1st and North 1st streets and through a parking lot before crashing into a tanning salon located on North 1st Street.
The vehicle ended up inside of the Hot Spot Tanning Resort at 3110 N. 1st St.
After she was hit, Hackett was pushed to the ground and then run over by at least one of the SUV's wheels, Abilene police said in a news release.
"The preliminary investigation revealed that Mr. Bermea experienced a serious medical condition that led to the events," the release said.
The accident happened at about 7:45 a.m. Wednesday.
"The business was unoccupied and closed at the time of the collision," the release said.
Bermea was taken to Hendrick Medical Center for treatment after he was removed from the SUV through its back window, police said. On Wednesday, an Abilene Fire Department news release said he was transported to the hospital with "very serious injuries."
"Additional crews were brought to the scene for a possible structure fire, but it was determined that the smoke and haze were a result of burning rubber from the vehicles tires and exhaust," the fire department release said.
The accident remains under investigation.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated