ABILENE, Texas - Abilene community members made their way to the Civic Center Thursday in honor of the completion of the C-130J fleet at Dyess Air Force Base.
The "Super J Fleet Complete Gala" celebrated the arrival of the final C-130J Super Hercules at Dyess and also the four-star general, Paul Selva, who delivered the aircraft. The gala is being put on by the Military Affairs Committee of the Abilene Chamber of Commerce.
The wheels of the 28th C-130J Super Hercules touched down at Dyess Air Force Base Thursday afternoon. That means the 317th Airlift Group now has the largest C-130J aircraft fleet in the world. The planes replace the old C-130H model aircrafts.
Selva said the new model is "more efficient in terms of the use of manpower, smaller number of crewmembers, lower training burden, but still just as effective and in fact more effective in combat because of the automation that's been built into the aircraft."
Having the fleet will help out the U.S. military overseas.
"In just a couple of months they'll do the first J model deployment back into Afghanistan so the wing and the group have stayed mission ready the whole time. They're ready to go at supporting our soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines deployed forward and they will just make them that much more effective at it," said Selva.
It will also mean a lot to the Abilene community.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer