ABILENE, Texas - Current Mayor Norm Archibald and his challenger Councilman Robert Briley both want to see Abilene grow, but they have different ways of achieving that goal.
Water, jobs and education are among the important issues Abilenians want to be addressed.
"It won't be long that we're going to go from once a week water to once every two weeks and that's troubling especially when we have the rights to the water and we haven't taken action on it," Briley said.
Archibald said he still wants to build the Cedar Ridge reservoir to bring in more water for the city.
"It will be more expensive to treat the water from Possum Kingdom than to build Cedar Ridge and have all of that water to ourselves and treat it because of the quality of the water," Archibald said.
In other local elections, two hopefuls for a city council seat are vying for your votes: challenger Joseph Neal Cochran and incumbent Anthony Williams.
Cochran has lived in Abilene for seven years and has experience in sales and business management and wants to tackle issues that are important to Abilene's growth.
Williams, his opponent, said his own goals are to create a larger economy and make it easier for citizens to communicate with the city government.
Early voting begins Monday and ends on May 6. For a polling place near you, click on this link.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer