ABILENE, Texas - An elderly woman was robbed in the parking lot of Hendrick Medical Center Friday morning.
As police arrested him, 29 year old Benny Havard told reporters, "I had to do what I had to do, to get home".
Havard is from Diboll in far east Texas.
Police say around 9:45 Friday morning, Havard threatened to shoot an elderly woman who was in her vehicle in the hospital's main parking lot.
Officers say he stole her purse at ran off.
Hendrick workers spotted Havard with a gun and called police.
A police officer spotted and followed Havard as he ran into the back of a home on Orange street.
Others officers arrived, and Havard was arrested.
Police found the woman's purse. Her ID and other personal items were found on Havard.
Benny Havard is charged with first degree aggravated robbery and is in jail on $100,000 dollars bond.
No one was injured in the robbery.
- LIVE Emails found during Weiner probe prompted FBI Clinton review
- Updated Police identify victim in west Abilene homicide
- United Supermarket on South 14th Street robbed, suspect sought
- Parents charged after toddler dies in Texas house fire
- Wife of Texas teacher charged in 2 deaths accused of tampering
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- Brookesmith school board selects interim superintendent
- Victim testifies against former chief in Anson sexual assault trial
- Clyde Intermediate School teachers save student from choking