ABILENE, Texas - A former Jones County deputy sheriff was indicted Thursday by a Taylor County grand jury for allegedly firing shots at a truck with her girlfriend inside.
Stephanie Renee Fenner, 26, of Hawley, faces charges of two counts of aggravated assault and a third count of deadly conduct.
According to Abilene police, she allegedly fired three rounds at her girlfriend and another woman who were in a truck outside a convenience store near the intersection of North Clack Street and Old Anson Road.
No one was injured in the incident, which occurred about 11 p.m. on April 25.
Police say Fenner asked to be put on sick leave the next day – on April 26. Paid sick leave was granted, but she was formally charged shortly after and put on unpaid leave May 2.
Another Jones County Sheriff's Office employee – Sgt. Sara Alfaro – was suspended with pay for her alleged involvement in the case. Police have alleged Alfaro recovered shell casings from the shooting scene.
According to an Abilene police officer who filed the warrant, Fenner's girlfriend had supposedly called Alfaro asking for assistance in calming Fenner down after the alleged incident. Abilene police officials said they later recovered the shell casings from Alfaro.
- Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- KTXS Forecast: Afternoon stray t-shower possible for West-Central Texas
- Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene