ABILENE, Texas - Nearly 12 years ago, Russell Crowley was murdered when a man hit him in the head with a hammer.
This week, Crowley's son – 24-year-old Michael – was charged with murder after a man he allegedly hit and kicked into unconsciousness died.
During June 2002, police went to Hunter's Ridge Apartments and found 40-year-old Russell Crowley beaten to death.
About the same time, Allen Wayne Brubaker rode his bicycle to an Abilene television station and said that he might have hurt someone.
Brubaker ultimately told police the two had been arguing over some property and that is when Brubaker beat Crowley to death with a hammer.
Brubaker was convicted and sentenced to 30 years in jail for Russell Crowley's murder in January 2004. He died in prison on Feb. 21, 2012.
On Tuesday, 47-year-old Lance Nickels died after allegedly being hit and kicked by Michael Boyd Crowley, son of murder victim Russell Crowley.
Michael Crowley was charged with murder Monday.
Meanwhile, the apartment where Russell Crowley died shared a common wall as the apartment where Abilene TV reporter Jennifer Servo was found murdered 11 years ago.
Servo's killer has never been found. She died as a result of strangulation and head trauma in her Abilene apartment.
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting