ABILENE, Texas - A south Abilene business was packed with federal investigators and local police Thursday.
The unmarked business is located within Suite A at 153 Tannehill Drive. Federal officers with the U.S. Treasury Department were on the scene and Abilene police said they had been called to assist the IRS.
KTXS tried to obtain a copy of the search warrant Friday for the Tannehill Drive business from the federal courthouse located on Pine Street; however, court officials said they cannot confirm or deny the investigation and the search warrant would not be public record.
A 46-year-old man, Robert Williams, was arrested at the scene; however, police said he was jailed on a marijuana possession charge. According to APD Public Information Officer George Spindler, "Williams was at the location sleeping in a room with the owner's knowledge and permission. Marijuana smoking pipes and a usable amount of marijuana was observed in plain sight in the room where Williams and his personal items were located. He told the agents the marijuana was his." Spindler said Williams also had an outstanding municipal warrant.
A spokeswoman with the real estate company that rents out the suite said she cannot disclose the name of the renter; however, she could say the space had been rented out to a cleaning company in a private contract.
People from neighboring businesses told KTXS they frequently saw late-night activity at the business lasting for several hours and have heard the suite is a gambling venue--federal authorities did not confirm anything about the ongoing investigation.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer