ABILENE, Texas - One person is temporarily without a home after a fire broke out at an apartment complex Sunday afternoon.
The Abilene Fire Department said reports came in of smoke at the Cimarron Apartment Complex located in the 500 block of Judge Ely Boulevard.
Due to the high number of people being threatened by fire and smoke, residents were evacuated from the building.
AFD said the fire was extinguished within the first few minutes, but it took almost 30 minutes to vent the smoke from the building.
Fire damage was limited to a portion of one wall in the living room area of one apartment.
The occupant of the apartment where the fire started was not home at the time. There were no reports of injuries.
Investigators said the fire began near a living room wall near a utility chase, but the exact cause is still unknown.
Damage is estimated at $5,000.
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Updated Texas student who dressed as slave told to change
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend