ABILENE, Texas - Abilene firefighters were called to a two-alarm fire at around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night at the Cottonwood Apartments in Abilene.
The fire started on the balcony and spread into the wall. Firefighters had to tear into the wall to put out the flames.
Lieutenant Greg Goettsch with the Abilene Fire Department said an improperly discarded cigarette caused the fire.
Several buildings, including 24 apartments, were evacuated.
The damage is estimated to be around $5,000.
No one was injured.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated