ABILENE, Texas - Abilene firefighters were called to a two-alarm fire at around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night at the Cottonwood Apartments in Abilene.
The fire started on the balcony and spread into the wall. Firefighters had to tear into the wall to put out the flames.
Lieutenant Greg Goettsch with the Abilene Fire Department said an improperly discarded cigarette caused the fire.
Several buildings, including 24 apartments, were evacuated.
The damage is estimated to be around $5,000.
No one was injured.
- Texas gunman had 2 weapons, thousands of rounds at scene
- Children subject of Amber Alert found dead, mother arrested
- KTXS Forecast: Isolated sprinkles possible then drying afternoon
- North Texas son, 18, gets life in prison for killing parents
- Fugitive Monday: Man, 27, wanted by Abilene police for parole violation
- Texas Roadhouse in Abilene donating to non-profit for cancer patients
- Man pleads guilty in connection with brutal 2014 Abilene murder, sentenced to life
- Abilene man fires shot during fight with roommate
- $4,000 TV stolen during burglary of Abilene apartment
- More Abilene convenience store robberies reported
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend
- Low enrollment causing Brookesmith ISD to look into restructuring
- Firefighters respond to house fire in Clyde, rescue dog