ABILENE, Texas - Abilene City Council is set to talk and vote on a number of items at Thursday's meeting, including this year's 4th of July fireworks show and a new pedestrian bridge to be built at Elm Creek and Clack.
The 4th of July firework show out at Nelson Park is expected to get the permit needed to put on the Independence Day firework display, which will be held on Friday, July 4th this year. WesTex Connect will be putting on the show. Brownwood City Council has permitted its firework show for Saturday, July 5 out at Lake Brownwood.
City Manager Larry Gilley is expected to accept a program that will use $8.5 million to rehab Abilene Regional Airport's runways. Ninety percent of that cost will come from a government grant.
City council will also hold a public hearing and possibly vote on its capital improvements program; that program includes plans for a new pedestrian bridge at Elm Creek and Clack. Right now there's a pretty tight and dangerous space for folks to walk as they travel between nearby apartments, businesses, and a bus stop. We spoke with Jon James, Abilene's Director of Planning and Development. He says the pedestrian bridge will be a separate walkway that runs over Elm Creek and parallel to Clack. Total cost is about $500,000 that includes planning this year, and construction in 2015.
Maxwell Golf Course also has some improvements outlined in the capital improvement program. There's the repaving of asphalt, along with needed repairs inside the clubhouse.
Two items put on hold for another year within the capital improvements; work on ball park concessions at Scarborough, Lake Kirby, Will Hair, and Jackson parks. also the implementation of a city bike plan.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated