ABILENE, Texas - Since the holidays are coming to a close, people are hitting the runways to get back home or go on vacation; however, many flights were delayed and some even cancelled due to the unpredictable weather.
Travelers waited for hours on end to board at least one plane, but others were forced to reschedule their flights instead.
"To have to turn around and get your suitcases and go back home is very frustrating,"Melissa Dieken, an upset traveler, said.
"I thought it was going to be nice weather, but weather just suddenly turned bad and we got a pretty bad cold snap," Eric Estrella, another traveler, said. "I don't give them a hard time trying to figure out 'when am I going to be leaving'…no I just go by their decision, they know better than I."
By Sunday afternoon, there were two delays and one cancellation, plus dozens of passengers had to de-board because of freezing rain.
"We were here this morning about 8:15 [a.m.] for flight that was supposed to be leave at 9:25 [a.m.] and it's 1:30 [p.m.] and we just found out that we're not gonna make it, and because we can't make our connecting flight, we're not gonna make our trip at all, so it looks like we might have to cancel our trip completely," Dieken said.
A few passengers also said that some planes were de-boarding because of maintenance issues; the planes didn't have the right equipment for the icy weather.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer