ABILENE, Texas - Due to the nationwide flu outbreak, the use of the communion cup has been suspended "until further notice" at masses in the Diocese of San Angelo, which encompasses 37,433 square miles and Taylor, Brown and 27 other counties.
In a letter to area priests, Bishop Michael D. Pfeifer made the announcement on the San Angelo diocese website.
"I make this prudential decision based on the fact of the high increase of the cases of flu at this time of the year," Pfeifer said. "Also, as a health precaution, I recommend that we not offer the sign of peace with a handshake. It is best that the exchange of peace be given verbally and perhaps with a simple bow.
"Once the danger of transmitting the flu has lessened, I will restore the use of the Communion Cup. Please pass this information on to all of our people."
Counties in the San Angelo diocese include Andrews, Brown, Callahan, Coke, Coleman, Concho, Crane, Crockett, Ector, Glasscock, Howard, Irion, Kimble, Martin, McCulloch, Menard, Midland, Mitchell, Nolan, Pecos, Reagan, Runnels, Schleicher, Sterling, Sutton, Taylor, Terrell, Tom Green and Upton.
Major cities located in the diocese are Abilene, Big Spring, Brownwood, Fort Stockton, Midland, Odessa, San Angelo, and Sweetwater, according to the diocese website.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated