ABILENE, Texas - It's an organization that helps people in more than 25 countries -- and now they are asking for your support.
Global Samaritan Resources is a Christian humanitarian nonprofit located right here in Abilene. The organization started in 1999 to aid third world countries.
"Anything and everything that is surplus in the United States and then we ship it on 40 ft. containers to other partners around the world that are doing work in foreign countries," said Esther Kissel, a worker at Global Samaritan.
These medical supplies are crucial for poverty stricken nations. Even drinking water is rare, something our nation takes for granted.
"We put in many water purification systems in Hati after the earthquake," Kissel said. "Those are still in operation today."
Global Samaritan also works to help those in need at home. They sent supplies after the devastating tornadoes hit Dallas this past spring.
So how can you help? Donations are always welcome: non perishable food items or cash. Also, you can buy a ticket to attend the organizations benefit dinner where former first Lady Laura Bush will be speaking.
The organization expects around 1,000 people at the event.
It will be held on Tuesday, Oct. 9th at the Abilene Civic Center. The event starts at 6:30 p.m. For ticket information click :http://globalsamaritan.org/an-evening-with-laura-w-bush
- Updated Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Updated Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer