ABILENE, Texas - Big names in Abilene made their way to the Civic Center for the Annual Chamber of Commerce Banquet Thursday.
The keynote speaker at the banquet was former U.S. Senator Jim DeMint, a prominent conservative voice in the country and president of The Heritage Foundation.
DeMint talked to chamber members about the Affordable Care Act, the government shutdown and individual liberty.
At the end of the evening the chamber named their outstanding citizen of the year. Author and former editor of the Abilene Reporter-News Glenn Dromgoole was very shocked to receive the award.
"When I look at the other people who have gotten this award over the years I'm stunned to be in their company. It's a terrific honor. I'm just kind of blown away by it. I just had no idea," said Dromgoole.
- Updated Murder-suicide suspected in deaths of Texas councilman, wife
- Girl, 17, missing after police find three bodies at her home in California
- Poll: Clinton, Trump virtually tied headed into debate
- Sunday Forecast: Cold front bringing cooler temperatures, more rain
- Abilene Zoo celebrates Golden Zoobilation