ABILENE, Texas - A former Wylie High School athlete died Monday in Florida after police say he was removed from a swimming pool by relatives.
According to Penbroke Pines officials, 23-year-old Steven Cottner was taken to Memorial Hospital Miramar, where he was pronounced dead, after officers responded to the 17800 block of Northwest 15th Court.
Fire rescue and police reportedly responded to the scene about 9:20 a.m. Monday to begin CPR on Cottner.
Wylie ISD Superintendent Joey Light remembered Cottner as being a "fine young gentleman."
"I have known Steven since he was four years old," Light said in an email. "He was always full of fun and energy. He will be greatly missed by family and friends alike."
Cottner was a first-team all-district soccer player and second-team all-district in football for the Bulldogs before graduating in 2010.
- Updated Federal agency publishes timetable for President Trump's Mexico border wall
- Texas murder suspect arrested; was in Daytona for the races
- Los Arcos restaurant to reopen Wednesday in Abilene
- Crews battling wildfires in Texas Panhandle, Oklahoma
- Savage threatens resignation from city council over business issue