ABILENE, Texas - A former Wylie High School athlete died Monday in Florida after police say he was removed from a swimming pool by relatives.
According to Penbroke Pines officials, 23-year-old Steven Cottner was taken to Memorial Hospital Miramar, where he was pronounced dead, after officers responded to the 17800 block of Northwest 15th Court.
Fire rescue and police reportedly responded to the scene about 9:20 a.m. Monday to begin CPR on Cottner.
Wylie ISD Superintendent Joey Light remembered Cottner as being a "fine young gentleman."
"I have known Steven since he was four years old," Light said in an email. "He was always full of fun and energy. He will be greatly missed by family and friends alike."
Cottner was a first-team all-district soccer player and second-team all-district in football for the Bulldogs before graduating in 2010.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer