ABILENE, TX - The Abilene Christian University community is mourning the loss of one of their own. Many people are left with unanswered questions after a crash that left two people dead from a head-on collision, one of them an ACU college student.
One truck carried six ACU students, the other a pickup driven by 27-year-old Jeffery Dane Davis from Abilene. Officers said Davis ran a stop sign and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Lindsey Smith, 20, from New Braunfels died at the scene.
The ACU community and friends of Jeffrey Davis said they are in shock. One homeowner who lives at the intersection where the crash happened described what he heard.
"I just heard a wham...an extreme explosion sound like two semis hitting each other, " Michael Taylor said.
Taylor said he couldn't believe what he saw looking at the gruesome scene. The head-on collision sent five ACU students to Hendrick Medical Center.
Taylor said it's a dangerous intersection.
"People come and go down Highway 36 and exit and enter Potosi Road really too fast," Taylor said. "I knew something bad was going to happen."
This tragedy isn't the first one for ACU. Last year, the community mourned when a student was killed in a bus crash.
"This will in some ways be the same kind of process where it takes a long time to heal," said ACU President Phil Schubert. "It takes a long time to fully recover physically."
Friends from ACU and Jeffrey Davis came to the accident scene on Saturday to pay respects and remember their loved ones.
"I'm still struggling, but I know that a lot of people are still in shock and a lot of people are still struggling," ACU Student Mandy Lambright said. "It's going to be a day-to-day process for us."
Friends of Davis didn't want to speak on camera, but they said he was a family man who loved his wife and kids.
ACU is making their normal prayer service on Monday, a day to remember the people who died.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer