ABILENE, Texas - Fundraisers are being held to aid an Abilene High football player who was injured May 5 when the car he was in rear-ended a city of Abilene garbage truck.
Cory Almanza, 17, was one of three Abilene High football players involved in the accident.
Almanza, who is in a coma, has been in critical condition ever since at Hendrick Medical Center.
The following is a press release from friends and family of Almanza:
ABILENE, TX – The family of Cory Almanza, the Abilene High School football player critically injured in the May 5 car accident on his way to school with two friends, is asking for support from the community.
Supporters of the family are organizing fundraisers to help with medical bills for Cory and his mom, Ruby Flores, who was disabled in a motorcycle accident several years ago. Ruby is the single mother of three children: Samantha, an AHS graduate; Cory, an AHS junior; and Ruby Rose, an elementary student.
Cory remains hospitalized at Hendrick Medical Center in critical condition. He is in a coma. He has extensive injuries. His 17th birthday recently passed while he was in a coma at the hospital.
Besides football, Cory is involved in JROTC and planned to join the military after graduation.
Help Cory and his family by going to the "booster" website and purchasing a $21 T-shirt that says "Assembling for Cory." You can choose to donate an additional amount on the website at https://www.booster.com/assembleforcory?share=8481401223989110
"My brother is an amazing kid and needs help, so please buy a shirt and help support him," said his sister, Samantha Silvas.
On June 7, supporters will be selling $10 brisket plates with tea and sides at Sears Park with proceeds benefitting the Almanaza-Flores family. You can pick up the plates from 12 to 3 p.m. that day. For more information on the brisket fundraiser, call 325-260-6411.
- Retired Texas teachers' health care premiums projected to double
- Updated Abilene mayor says city playing 'catch up' on roads
- Updated Teen flown to Abilene hospital after Sweetwater rollover crash
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Warm, quiet conditions to finish the week
- Updated Abilene man arrested for sexually assaulting woman who refused sex
- Abilene ISD bus barn ransacked during break-in
- Dyess Big Country AirFest to arrive at Abilene Regional Airport
- Abilene man arrested for sexually assaulting woman who refused sex
- Jury finds Abilene mother guilty of intentionally starving baby
- Country stars headed to Abilene for Outlaws and Legends music festival
- Event to fight hunger in Brown County offering soup, bowls
- Brown County Christian school gets anonymous donation to pay for safety signs
- Brownwood joins several Big Country cities in suspending hikes to energy rates
- Hendrick Surgery Center in Brownwood set to open in May
- Brown County DA getting new software to increase transparency