ABILENE, Texas - Former Taylor County tax assessor-collector Lavena Cheek died Wednesday.
Cheek retired in 2010 after spending 37 years working for the county.
Cheek was active with many causes in the community, none more so than the Chili Superbowl that raises money for the Ben Richey Boys Ranch.
Funeral services for Cheek will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at First Christian Church. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Hamil Family Funeral Home.
Cheek was 81.
- Weather warning: Enhanced fire danger for much of Big Country
- Updated Wanted: Abilene police seek teen & woman
- Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- Woman's sassy obit warns people to wait to claim her stuff
- Winning ticket for $435 million Powerball sold in Indiana