ABILENE, Texas - Former Taylor County tax assessor-collector Lavena Cheek died Wednesday.
Cheek retired in 2010 after spending 37 years working for the county.
Cheek was active with many causes in the community, none more so than the Chili Superbowl that raises money for the Ben Richey Boys Ranch.
Funeral services for Cheek will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at First Christian Church. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Hamil Family Funeral Home.
Cheek was 81.
- Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- KTXS Forecast: Drier and warmer weather for most to finish the work week
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web