ABILENE, Texas - A girl with a rare form of cancer was given a $4,000 saddle on Saturday at the Taylor County Expo Center.
Melissa McHann, 16, was diagnosed with an Optic Pathway Glioma, a rare slow-growing brain tumor. That has caused her to lose nearly all her vision in her right eye.
Her friends and family gathered at the Taylor County Expo Center to give her and her mother special gifts, including a spa certificate and a zoo pass.
McHann encourages people in her situation to continue to have hope and stay positive when thinking about the future.
"There's just, there's so much hope," McHann said. "There's so much research, so much better treatment out there and there's always hope no matter what stage you are or how bad it is."
- Christmas market in Abilene benefits African orphanage
- Russian man caught with synthetic opioid in Abilene, could face deportation
- Abilene's Food for Fares campaign nearing its end
- City of Abilene offering trolley tour of homes decorated for holidays
- Abilene parents fear impending cuts to therapy for children