ABILENE, Texas - When children fall victim to child abuse, they need a support system more than anything else. Members of the Abilene chapter of the Guardians of the Children are trying to fund that support system through a 4-day silent auction at the VFW.
Many of the Guardians are also bikers and they "adopt" child victims into their group. Members check up on the victims until they turn 18, organize parties for victims, give them "road" names and support them in court.
The bikers also wear patches on their leather vests bearing the slogan "don't let your silence drown out their cries."
"We're sitting in the courtroom when they testify against their perpetrator," GOC President Larry Doty said. Doty, whose known as "Tiny" on the road, was also one of the Abilene chapter's founding fathers in 2009.
The Guardian's bikes, events and donations help children get on the road to recovery.
"I know they have a ball because you can just see it in their faces and hopefully it'll help them learn to trust a little bit more and let them know there are some decent people out there that aren't going to hurt them," GOC Treasurer Diana Lynn Dennis said.
Doty said the time Guardians put into their work is nothing compared to what they get from the children in return.
"The payoff is when we see them sometime later and they're smiling and running up and playing and jumping on the motorcycles and stuff like that," Doty said.
Victims are offered a Guardian membership when they reach the age of 18.
The silent auction is being held at the VFW located at 1049 Veterans Drive from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday and Friday and from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated