ABILENE, Texas - History was made Thursday at McMurry University when Dr. Sandra Harper was inaugurated as the university's first female president.
Harper officially took leadership at McMurry last October. She previously worked at Our Lady of the Lake College in Baton Rouge.
She is the first woman to serve as president at an Abilene university. She's also the first not of the same denomination as her institution. She is Catholic, while McMurry is Methodist-affiliated university.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash