ABILENE, Texas - A helicopter flying lesson went horribly wrong Friday afternoon in Abilene.
Authorities tell us an instructor and student flying in the helicopter had mechanical problems and were forced to make an emergency landing in a field.
Robert Welch, 50, of Abilene was named as the instructor. Neil Overton, 41, of Throckmorton was identified as the student.
They landed four miles south of I-20 along Elmdale Road around 3:40 Friday afternoon.
The two men on board were not hurt.
The helicopter is owned by the student.
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon