ABILENE, Texas - A helicopter flying lesson went horribly wrong Friday afternoon in Abilene.
Authorities tell us an instructor and student flying in the helicopter had mechanical problems and were forced to make an emergency landing in a field.
Robert Welch, 50, of Abilene was named as the instructor. Neil Overton, 41, of Throckmorton was identified as the student.
They landed four miles south of I-20 along Elmdale Road around 3:40 Friday afternoon.
The two men on board were not hurt.
The helicopter is owned by the student.
- Updated Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9
- Thief climbs in through roof at Abilene High, steals electronics
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash
- Updated Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- Judge blocks Texas cutting Medicaid to Planned Parenthood