ABILENE, Texas - The 27th Annual Don't Mess With Texas Trash-off takes place in April.
Darah Waldrip from the Texas Department of Transportation appeared on KTXS This Morning Thursday to discuss the event.
The trash-off will run from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 6. Participants should meet in the K-Mart parking lot at 4565 S. 1st Street in Abilene.
The goal of the trash-off is to encourage Texans to clean up the state's roadsides and communities. Volunteers are needed to help with this Texas "spring cleaning."
Those that are members of Adopt-a-Highway groups are also encouraged to clean up their section of roadway on April 6.
Every year, millions of pieces of litter are thrown, blown, or left on the roadways.
According to TxDOT, the trash-off is the single largest one day cleanup event in the state.
TxDot and Keep Texas Beautiful partner to organize the event.
- Updated San Angelo city councilman asked to resign over racial Facebook comments
- Abilene police make urgent request for help finding missing elderly woman
- Deadly accident in Callahan County, road closed
- Updated Missing Texas dad of 3 is found in Ohio, met someone online
- Rescue network brings adoptable dogs from Texas to Minnesota
- Brownwood ISD's new calendar includes 3-day weekends every month
- Early man in jail for scamming elderly couple out of $15,000
- Brownwood raid leads to arrests for illegal drugs
- Brownwood takes steps to address wild hog problem at city field
- Brownwood man sentenced to 25 years for role in prison gang drug ring