ABILENE, Texas - The 27th Annual Don't Mess With Texas Trash-off takes place in April.
Darah Waldrip from the Texas Department of Transportation appeared on KTXS This Morning Thursday to discuss the event.
The trash-off will run from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 6. Participants should meet in the K-Mart parking lot at 4565 S. 1st Street in Abilene.
The goal of the trash-off is to encourage Texans to clean up the state's roadsides and communities. Volunteers are needed to help with this Texas "spring cleaning."
Those that are members of Adopt-a-Highway groups are also encouraged to clean up their section of roadway on April 6.
Every year, millions of pieces of litter are thrown, blown, or left on the roadways.
According to TxDOT, the trash-off is the single largest one day cleanup event in the state.
TxDot and Keep Texas Beautiful partner to organize the event.
- Updated Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles welcomed home to Texas
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Rival schools lend football gear to Oklahoma team after fire
- Updated Active search over, suspect avoids arrest after high-speed Big Country chase
- Updated Police: Man charged in Texas mosque threat later apologized