ABILENE, Texas - A home in the 1900 block of South 19th Street has been described as a total loss after fire engulfed it Friday afternoon.
The house was fully involved when firefighters arrived shortly before 2 p.m.
It took 15 minutes to put it out.
"It basically was burning up the whole front of the house.. it was pretty huge it was a big fire," said Johnny Borrego who lives across the street.
"I don't know how to explain it. I've never seen a fire like that ever," said Selena Cardona who lives adjacent to the home that burned. She said the wind was blowing the flames towards her house.
"The side of my house is melted and the trimming is just falling down. It could have easily went inside, but I'm just glad it didn't," Cardona added.
The owner of the home, located between Sayles Boulevard and Butternut Street, said she went to a store and when she came back the house was on fire.
Firefighters tell KTXS the fire started from a lit cigarette left inside the home.
The owner said she doesn't have insurance. Her cat was also reportedly inside.
Stay with KTXS.com and KTXS news for more information as it is made available.
- Updated Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017