ALPINE, Texas - Hardin-Simmons split a pair of 6-5 games on Saturday afternoon in American Southwest Conference action against Sul Ross State at Kokernot Field.
HSU jumped out to an early 4-0 lead. Colson Craddick had a bases loaded walk, Brandon Walker had a two-run single and J.T. Thornton added an RBI groundout in the inning.
Sul Ross tied the game with two runs in the first and second innings. Shane Sawyer had an RBI single in the first and the second run scored on a two-out error by Jon Finney. Josh Vasquez had a two-run single in the second inning.
HSU took a 5-4 lead in the fourth inning on an RBI single by Jason Vause. The Lobos took the lead in the fifth with a pair of runs. Ozzie Bueno and Johnny Campos had RBI singles for the Lobos.
Marcus Uechi and Thornton had two hits each for the Cowboys and Sawyer led the Lobos with three hits.
Matt Rhodes (0-4) took the loss allowing six runs on 12 hits in five and two-third innings. Jose Gonzales earned the win with six innings of five-run ball to improve to 5-3. Derrick Bernard worked a scoreless seventh for his first save.
HSU jumped to an early 3-0 lead with three runs in the second inning. Freshman Zack de Luna had a home run with one out in the inning and Jon Finney later added a two-run single to right.
The Cowboys made it 5-0 with two runs in the sixth. Finney had an RBI single and Uechi followed with an RBI double.
Then the Lobos exploded for five runs over their next two at-bats on eight hits. Brandon Barcalow had an RBI single and another run scored on a double play in the sixth. Turner Mattson led off the seventh with a solo home run. Jonny Campos had an RBI single that went through Jason Vause sending Campos to third. He scored on a sacrifice fly by Josh Vasquez.
HSU scored a run in the seventh when de Luna tripled and scored on an RBI single by Jacques.
Sam Hallen earned the win in his first career start. He went six and one-third innings allowing 10 hits and four earned runs. Blake Northrop earned the save with two and two-third innings of relief. It was his third save of the year.
De Luna had three hits and Jacques, Finney and Vause had two hits each. Campos had three hits for SRSU.
Justin Vajgert took the loss with five runs on nine hits in six innings.
All three games in the series were one-run games. HSU is now 11-14 on the year and 8-13 in league play. Sul Ross State improved to 15-13 overall and 11-10 in conference play.
Information for this story provided by Hardin-Simmons Athletics.
- Updated Armored car guard shot, killed in Texas ATM robbery
- Updated Teacher fired in West Texas after Internet post hired by another district
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon hit-or-miss t-shower chances continue
- Police ID West Texas man who died while hiking
- Updated Police: 20-year-old arrested for sexual assault of Brownwood teen
- Abilene, Big Country teams ranked in AP football poll
- Abilene ISD expecting more money from state for higher enrollment
- Clyde community raises money for family after car accident
- Homeowner: '20 or 30 years of my life gone' in Abilene house fire
- Bulldogs find way to win in mistake-filled season opener against Vernon