HIGHWAY 277, Texas - Update: The driver of the truck that caused that deadly head-on collision Sunday is improving. 62 year-old Alberto Navarro Medrano is now in fair condition after a serious injury.
Original Story: An Abilene driver was killed Sunday in a head-on collision around 2:30 p.m. on Highway 277.
According to DPS, a Ford F-150 driven by 62-year-old Alberto Navarro Medrano of Abilene lost control and slipped on the icy roadway, struck a guardrail and crossed over the center stripe—crashing into the Mercury SUV driven by 53-year-old Randall Scott Castleberry. Castleberry's vehicle left the overpass. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Navarro is being treated at a local hospital for a serious injury. His passengers are in stable condition following their injuries. All were wearing seatbelts. Castelberry's passengers, including a 7-year-old, are also in stable condition following their injuries. All were wearing seatbelts.
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Updated Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- Big Country 100 Men Who Care gives away another $10,000
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting