ABILENE, Texas - Changes might be on the horizon for Abilene's municipal golf course.
Golfers of Maxwell Municipal Golf Course will be excited to hear about plans for enhancement.
"The improvement we're looking at right now is to expand our driving range tee-box about three times its size," said Dave Hand, general manager of Abilene's municipal course.
According to Hand, course officials would also like to add three practice holes and a new entrance access by way of South 27th Street with additional parking.
But for now, their focus is improving the tee box.
Money for the improvements will come from private donations, the city and the community as well. The entire enhancement project will cost about $500,000, including $50,000 for the tee-box improvement.
"We're trying to just do one step at a time and see if we can get interest from the community. If we can do that, we may form a ‘Friends of Maxwell' entity to be able to donate money and raise funds," Hand said.
Hand said the improvements will provide a big difference for younger golfers.
"We have so much participation in our junior program, high school and college participants. There's probably 80 to 100 high school kids throughout the year that use that tee box, so it gets pretty torn up. It's just not adequate to handle that many customers."
Officials hope for work to begin work to expand the tee box in the next few months. Everything, however, hinges on funding. They won't start anything until they have enough money.
Maxwell Golf Course is located at South 32nd Street off of Treadaway Boulevard.
For information about the course or membership click here. You can also give them a call if you'd like to donate to the funding for the improvements.
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Warm and likely dry
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer