ABILENE, Texas - Abilene police have released the incident report and new information regarding Wednesday's fatal shooting on Minda Lane in which a woman shot and killed her estranged ex-boyfriend after he allegedly broke in to her home and assaulted her and her child.
On Wednesday, police said 34-year-old Earnest Gonzales first tried to break into his ex-girlfriend, 35-year-old Lawanda Taylor's home on Christmas Day but fled when she called 911. They said he came back and succeeded in breaking in around 2 a.m. Wednesday and he allegedly assaulted Taylor while her 16-year-old and newborn child were present.
During the assault, police said Taylor retrieved her gun, which she legally owned, and shot Gonzales once in his side. Gonzales left the home and police found him in the front yard. He died at Hendrick Medical Center.
According to the incident report, Gonzales was making death threats before he broke into Taylor's home and he also assaulted one of Taylor's children.
"The victim [Taylor] then shot the suspect in defense of herself and her family," the incident report reads.
Police have ordered an autopsy on Gonzales's body and the case will go before a Taylor County Grand Jury for review. However, police said they do not expect any criminal charges will be filed against Taylor.
- Rose Park aquatic center to open this summer
- Updated Dashcam video of San Angelo councilman's altercation with police released
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- Big Country 100 Men Who Care gives away another $10,000
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting