ABILENE, Texas - Abilene police have released the incident report and new information regarding Wednesday's fatal shooting on Minda Lane in which a woman shot and killed her estranged ex-boyfriend after he allegedly broke in to her home and assaulted her and her child.
On Wednesday, police said 34-year-old Earnest Gonzales first tried to break into his ex-girlfriend, 35-year-old Lawanda Taylor's home on Christmas Day but fled when she called 911. They said he came back and succeeded in breaking in around 2 a.m. Wednesday and he allegedly assaulted Taylor while her 16-year-old and newborn child were present.
During the assault, police said Taylor retrieved her gun, which she legally owned, and shot Gonzales once in his side. Gonzales left the home and police found him in the front yard. He died at Hendrick Medical Center.
According to the incident report, Gonzales was making death threats before he broke into Taylor's home and he also assaulted one of Taylor's children.
"The victim [Taylor] then shot the suspect in defense of herself and her family," the incident report reads.
Police have ordered an autopsy on Gonzales's body and the case will go before a Taylor County Grand Jury for review. However, police said they do not expect any criminal charges will be filed against Taylor.
- Updated Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Updated Abilene non-profit raising money with rappelling event
- Updated City of Abilene to give away 100 rain barrel kits
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Afternoon stray t-shower possible for West-Central Texas
- Updated Country music star Vince Gill tours West Texas Rehab in Abilene