ABILENE, Texas - An Abilene woman was indicted Thursday after allegedly abandoning her children in her apartment for several days in March.
According to court documents, 38-year-old Cary Cedillo was reported missing March 17 when a relative discovered Cedillo's 11 and 13-year-old children were alone in their apartment in the 300 block of Mockingbird Lane.
When Cedillo returned to the apartment searching for her children, police questioned her. She allegedly told police she had been in jail during the days her children were left alone; however, police checked jail records and said that was not true.
One of the children told authorities they had not seen their mother since March 9 and a witness said she realized the children had been left alone on March 13. She had allowed the children to visit her house for meals until their relative picked them up March 17.
A Taylor County grand jury indicted her for third degree felony abandoning a child.
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated DPS identifies man killed in Hwy 84 crash near Santa Anna, Coleman
- Updated Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Updated Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- Updated No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017