ABILENE, Texas - Tiffany Klapheke has been in jail since Wednesday on three counts of injuring a child. Her 22-month-old baby girl, Tamryn, was found dead. The coroner said the baby might have died from neglect. The preliminary autopsy said Tamryn was malnourished and dehydrated before her death.
"When I went in there she wasn't alive and I couldn't wake her up and now I've lost both of my children and I don't have any family and I haven't seen my husband," said Klapheke.
Police say Klapheke's two other daughters, a three-year-old and one that was only six months, were also found with injuries consistent with severe neglect.
"I know people hate me and I don't understand, but it was not my intention. I just wanted a break for my own sanity, that's all. I didn't mean for it to go so far," said Klapheke.
Klapheke said she was distraught after her husband, a Dyess airman, was deployed to the Middle East.
"Nobody took a second to ask me if there was anything they could do to help or if I needed anything and I wish they would have," Klapheke said.
"I've never been in trouble in my life. I've never even had a speeding ticket and now I'm stuck here on $500,000 bond," she said.
She said she felt trapped in her home with her children because she could not afford child care and she didn't realize her child was as sick as she was.
"I'm not a criminal. I wouldn't hurt people. I just need help and a chance to make life right. I don't think I deserve to be here," Klapheke said.
We asked Klapheke if she has been using any illegal drugs. She says she has never used drugs and passed a drug test at the jail Thursday. Police told us they can not confirm that information.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated