ABILENE, Texas - The Behrens Residence Hall was evacuated shortly before midnight Thursday after the contents of a stove in a community kitchen caught fire.
Janlyn Thomas with HSU Public Relations said the fire started when a resident of the dorm was baking cookies. A Resident Assistant pulled the fire alarm to evacuate students. She also used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out.
The Abilene Fire Department responded to the fire. The fire was extinguished by the time they arrived.
The Behrens Residence Hall houses 135 freshmen women. There were approximately 60 to 70 there at the time of the fire.
Thaxton said there is no damage to the dorm. A screen in a kitchen window was broken to help smoke escape, but there is no lasting smoke damage.
- Updated Manhunt underway in Sweetwater after attempted traffic stop
- Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Abilene man arrested for aggravated kidnapping of girlfriend
- Abilene residents weigh in on 25 years of the World Wide Web
- No tax increases in proposed Brownwood budget for 2016-2017