ABILENE, Texas - No one was home or injured in a two-alarm, two-story house fire that broke out early Friday morning at Lake Fort Phantom.
Eleven pieces of fire equipment were on the scene near FM 600 and Cool Breeze – at 11209 West Lake Road – after the house fire was reported about 3:45 a.m.
The house appears to be a total loss, fire officials said.
"Upon arrival there was heavy smoke and fire showing from the two-story house," an Abilene Fire Department news release said, noting grass fires also surrounded the home.
Firefighters worked for nearly two hours to bring the blaze under control, the fire department release said.
The family living in the home is a mother, father and five children who were staying at a relative's house.
No firefighters were injured while battling the blaze.
The American Red Cross has been contacted.
An account has been set up for donations to the Davis family at Abilene Teachers Federal Credit Union.
- Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- San Angelo city councilman resigns after racial comments about police
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Former Sweetwater teacher indicted on 3 child sex charges
- Updated Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash