ABILENE, Texas - No one was home or injured in a two-alarm, two-story house fire that broke out early Friday morning at Lake Fort Phantom.
Eleven pieces of fire equipment were on the scene near FM 600 and Cool Breeze – at 11209 West Lake Road – after the house fire was reported about 3:45 a.m.
The house appears to be a total loss, fire officials said.
"Upon arrival there was heavy smoke and fire showing from the two-story house," an Abilene Fire Department news release said, noting grass fires also surrounded the home.
Firefighters worked for nearly two hours to bring the blaze under control, the fire department release said.
The family living in the home is a mother, father and five children who were staying at a relative's house.
No firefighters were injured while battling the blaze.
The American Red Cross has been contacted.
An account has been set up for donations to the Davis family at Abilene Teachers Federal Credit Union.
- Teenage suspect arrested in Hamlin murder; 2nd suspect wanted
- Updated Abilene police ask for help identifying man who robbed 2 convenience stores
- House fires fought in north, south Abilene
- Big Country 15-year-old sells steer for $345,000
- 2nd Vernon College rodeo team member dies 8 days after Haskell County crash; 3rd death total
- Brownwood college rodeo raising funds for families of deceased Vernon College students
- Brownwood teen gets 50 years in prison for murdering parents
- Sears Hometown in Early to remain open despite company's woes
- Scoreboard at Gordon Wood Stadium in Brownwood to be replaced
- Brownwood ISD considering random drug testing for extracurricular activities