ABILENE, Texas - Christmas takes place on the same date each year, but that doesn't stop people from putting off their gift buying.
Most people say they are trying to take advantage of the deals that retailers offer around the Christmas season. But is it worth the traffic and long lines?
Traffic is backed up around the Mall of Abilene around the holidays and there is not way to avoid it if you wait to do your shopping. We wanted to know why people put it off.
"It's hard to work an 8 hour, 10 hour day and then come out and go shopping, but also because of the last minute deals," Shopper Carey Parsons said. "I heard on the news that if you wait until the last weekend then you can possibly get some extra deals so that's what I'm looking for."
Shopper Andrew Garza said, "Last minute deals! But yeah, checking up on a few things that we ordered, or I ordered, and waiting on gifts…hope they came in on time for Santa."
If you think you're the only one who's running behind, don't worry, you're not. Everyone seems to have a few more people to check off their lists.
"A couple of gifts, I still have my parents to buy for," Shopper Joel Arce said.
"Two daughters and two grand-kids, but the list just needs to be filled in," Garza said.
"My son and immediate family…everyone else I'm done with," Parsons said.
"Nearly everyone…yeah, we have really put it off this year," Shopper Tammie Reeves said.
Whether your gifts are tucked under the tree already or you haven't touched your list yet, the holidays will be here before you know it.
According to a survey by the National Retail Federation, retail sales will increase almost four percent this year.
Fourteen percent of shoppers said, as of December ninth, they hadn't started their shopping for the holidays, but eight percent said they had already bought everyone's gifts.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated