ABILENE, Texas - The American Red Cross in Abilene and Global Samaritan Resources are collecting donations to help with tornado relief efforts in Granbury and Hood County after six people were killed and one neighborhood destroyed from 12 tornadoes that ravaged the areas.
"This morning we did receive a phone call from our office in the Dallas-Fort Worth area asking that they send our emergency response vehicle and a driver to the Fort Worth area to help with the disaster response," said Allen Brooks with the American Red Cross in Abilene.
Danny Sims, executive director of Global Samaritan Resources, said money is the thing needed most right now to help supply people in those areas with food, water and shelter.
"Right now they can make a monetary donation and they can bring it by our office on North 1st, they can mail it to us and that address is on our website, globalsamaritan.org, and even donate online and 100 percent of the monies given, we don't keep anything, is passed onto trusted partners in the affected area," Sims said.
Those who can't afford to help out financially have other options.
"Pray for the people of Hood County, pray for the people of Granbury and I saw where the sheriff of Hood County said exactly that: pray," said Sims.
Both the Red Cross and Global Samaritan Resources staff said rebuilding is a long process.
"You know a lot of times people will get really involved early and then we forget. And there's going to be rebuilding for a while going on in Hood County, so continue to pray and keep those folks in mind," said Sims.
If you know someone in the Granbury or Hood County area and you haven't been able to locate them the Red Cross website does have a way to help.
The website has a service where you can register or search safe and well listings.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated