ABILENE, Texas - The Texas Department of Transportation selected Jones County Judge Dale Spurgin as the recipient of the TX-DOT Road Hand Award.
TX-DOT officials said his help with transportation issues in West Texas during his time as a member of the Abilene Metropolitan Planning Organization showed exemplary leadership.
Spurgin had a part in selecting projects funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act and helped with the replacement of about 20 bridges in Jones County. Spurgin said he was "surprised" and "honored to receive the award.
The Road Hand Award was created in 1973 to recognize individuals who have shown leadership outside of the transportation industry.
- Updated Abilene man charged with criminally negligent homicide in fiery 2014 crash
- Abilene City Council declines to approve curbside recycling program
- Surgeon general warns doctors on opioid epidemic
- Texas promised to track oilfield waste in aquifers. It didn't
- Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family