ABILENE, Texas - Taylor County commissioners have appointed longtime Department of Public Safety spokesman Phillip "Sparky" Dean to fill the Precinct 1, Place 2 Justice of the Peace position.
That job has been open since July 1 when A.L Deatherage retired. Deatherage stepped down in the middle of his term, so the state trooper will finish out his unexpired term and serve through the end of 2014.
Dean said he will retire from the Department of Public Safety on Aug. 2. He will be sworn in as Justice of the Peace on Aug. 3.
- KTXS Forecast: Rain moves out, making way for warmer weather and sunny skies
- Brownwood ISD's new calendar includes 3-day weekends every month
- ACU's Sing Song competition brings visitors, dollars to Abilene
- 2 dead in shooting during fight at Houston strip club
- Police seek help finding suitcase linked to Colorado murder