ABILENE, Texas - Taylor County commissioners have appointed longtime Department of Public Safety spokesman Phillip "Sparky" Dean to fill the Precinct 1, Place 2 Justice of the Peace position.
That job has been open since July 1 when A.L Deatherage retired. Deatherage stepped down in the middle of his term, so the state trooper will finish out his unexpired term and serve through the end of 2014.
Dean said he will retire from the Department of Public Safety on Aug. 2. He will be sworn in as Justice of the Peace on Aug. 3.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated