ABILENE, Texas - Taylor County commissioners have appointed longtime Department of Public Safety spokesman Phillip "Sparky" Dean to fill the Precinct 1, Place 2 Justice of the Peace position.
That job has been open since July 1 when A.L Deatherage retired. Deatherage stepped down in the middle of his term, so the state trooper will finish out his unexpired term and serve through the end of 2014.
Dean said he will retire from the Department of Public Safety on Aug. 2. He will be sworn in as Justice of the Peace on Aug. 3.
- Updated Terror attacks overseas affecting Abilene college programs
- Updated EpiPen price hikes causing trouble Abilene families
- Updated Police: Abilene kidnapping suspect threatened to kill victim, family
- Updated Abilene shooting victim's mother reacts to suspect's arrest
- Updated Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles welcomed home to Texas