ABILENE, Texas - Students in McMurry's 'Magnet' school program got the chance to learn to kayak Thursday afternoon.
This is just one of many physical activities that the students get to experience during their time at the university.
The program allows any 5th grade AISD student to spend an entire year of school on Mcmurry campus.
To qualify, student must fill out an application which is handed out at their school, be highly interested in math and science, pass the STAAR Test, and have less than 6 absences.
Students are then chosen at random by a raffle each June.
- Man shot in arm during road rage incident near Abilene
- Man convicted of indecency with a child now arrested in Taylor County
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Financial shortfall forcing Meals on Wheels to cut breakfast delivery in Abilene
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Brownwood woman gets 20 years in prison for injuring child
- Brownwood police asking for public's help in finding escaped man
- Brownwood murder suspect's lawyer asks for bond reduction, gag order
- Brownwood City Council unanimously passes new budget
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Sweetwater teacher accused of relationship with student resigns
- Bond reduced for Ranger man accused of murder
- Bangs students learn from Monday's presidential debate
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash