ABILENE, Texas - A 34-year-old man is charged with murder after an Abilene man was killed in his home on Bickley Street early Monday morning.
According to police, Ricky White had moved in with 54-year-old Willie Anderson approximately one to two weeks ago at Anderson's home in the 2700 block of Bickley Street.
Police have not released a motive for the killing but said the pair were involved in an altercation before White allegedly killed Anderson.
White is jailed on a 1st degree murder charge. His bond is set at $250,000.
According to Sgt. Lynn Beard, Anderson suffered blunt force trauma but the cause of death is not yet clear. Anderson's body will be transported to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's office for an autopsy.
Anderson's family said they knew something was wrong with Anderson when he did not show up for work Monday at Autobahn Repair Paint and Body. Police said his co-workers found him dead around 8:20 a.m.
Within minutes of arriving on scene, officers were tipped off to White's location at a south Abilene apartment complex and they quickly detained him. White has two prior convictions for family violence.
Anderson's son-in-law, Erion Cash, said Anderson did not deserve to die.
"He just never really bothered anyone, you know, and for someone to do what they did it just didn't seem right, not for him," Cash said.
People with family on Bickley Street said the crime makes them uneasy.
"If it happened there, who is to say it can't happen, you know, while my daughter is home or while my grand kids are out here? I'm puzzled at the moment really.it's not safe out here no more," Janie said.
Some residents said that although Anderson's murder is shocking, they feel comfortable living nearby.
"I love the neighborhood," Isabel Rockwell said. "We feel very peaceful. We have a very good police force that surrounds this area. Anytime that we call them they're right there so I'm very happy here.
According to www.raidsonline.com, two 2012 homicides occurred within three miles of Bickley Street. In 2011, two homicides occurred within less than a mile of Bickley Street.
- Winters man one of 25 to receive prestigious Carnegie Hero medal
- Abilene parents keeping daughter's memory alive with foundation
- Abilene police find heroin in house, arrest 4 on drug charges
- Updated Texas student who dressed as slave told to change
- KTXS Forecast: Slight warm up today then another cold front arrives Thursday
- Brother of fallen Dyess airman killed week before 1st anniversary of plane crash
- Callahan County employees, residents react to jail decision
- Brown County cities see decline in sales tax revenues for July
- Callahan County commissioners reverse decision to 'vacate' jail
- Totals: 5+ inches of rain recorded in parts of West Texas over weekend