ABILENE, Texas - A 34-year-old man is charged with murder after an Abilene man was killed in his home on Bickley Street early Monday morning.
According to police, Ricky White had moved in with 54-year-old Willie Anderson approximately one to two weeks ago at Anderson's home in the 2700 block of Bickley Street.
Police have not released a motive for the killing but said the pair were involved in an altercation before White allegedly killed Anderson.
White is jailed on a 1st degree murder charge. His bond is set at $250,000.
According to Sgt. Lynn Beard, Anderson suffered blunt force trauma but the cause of death is not yet clear. Anderson's body will be transported to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's office for an autopsy.
Anderson's family said they knew something was wrong with Anderson when he did not show up for work Monday at Autobahn Repair Paint and Body. Police said his co-workers found him dead around 8:20 a.m.
Within minutes of arriving on scene, officers were tipped off to White's location at a south Abilene apartment complex and they quickly detained him. White has two prior convictions for family violence.
Anderson's son-in-law, Erion Cash, said Anderson did not deserve to die.
"He just never really bothered anyone, you know, and for someone to do what they did it just didn't seem right, not for him," Cash said.
People with family on Bickley Street said the crime makes them uneasy.
"If it happened there, who is to say it can't happen, you know, while my daughter is home or while my grand kids are out here? I'm puzzled at the moment really.it's not safe out here no more," Janie said.
Some residents said that although Anderson's murder is shocking, they feel comfortable living nearby.
"I love the neighborhood," Isabel Rockwell said. "We feel very peaceful. We have a very good police force that surrounds this area. Anytime that we call them they're right there so I'm very happy here.
According to www.raidsonline.com, two 2012 homicides occurred within three miles of Bickley Street. In 2011, two homicides occurred within less than a mile of Bickley Street.
- Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- San Angelo city councilman resigns after racial comments about police
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Former Sweetwater teacher indicted on 3 child sex charges
- Updated Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash