ABILENE, Texas - About $100,000 of damage was recorded late Sunday during a two-alarm fire – believed to be the result of arson – at Pebble Creek Apartments in the 1000 block of South Clack Street.
According to an Abilene Fire Department news release, fire crews dispatched to the complex about 9:30 p.m. found heavy smoke coming out of an apartment.
Fire officials have identified the suspected arsonist as being 44-year-old Vincent Lynell Dirdem. His bond was set at $40,000.
"The fire, which was started in the bathroom, was a result of arson and there is a male in custody at this time," Lt. Mike Miller said in the news release.
"It appears that he had taken some of his roommate's clothing and put it in the bathtub and lit it on fire," Miller said later in an interview.
According to police officers at the scene Sunday night, a man made threats to his wife one to two hours before the fire.
"The ground floor apartment was heavily damaged and the upstairs apartment suffered some smoke damage as well," Miller said.
In all, Miller said, 10 pieces of equipment responded to the blaze.
No injuries were reported.
- Mistrial declared in sexual assault case against ex-Anson police chief
- Updated Abilene City Council approves hiring two code enforcement officers
- Teacher Tribute: First-year Wylie teacher receives season's first honor
- 3 suspects sought by Abilene police
- Teen killed in Coleman County motorcycle-truck crash
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth