ABILENE, Texas - A man riding his motorcycle the wrong way on Highway 277 died after colliding with an 18 wheeler about 12:40 a.m.
Justin Burleson,30, was traveling southbound in the northbound lanes of 277 north of Interstate 20. An 18 wheeler attempted to swerve out of the way, but the two collided. Burleson was pronounced dead at the scene. He was not wearing a helmet.
The 18 wheeler hit a guardrail in the attempt to avoid hitting Burleson. The impact broke one of the diesel containers, sending oil onto both northbound lanes. TxDot closed the northbound lanes for several hours while they cleaned the road.
The accident could be seen from the KTXS Tower Cam. At about 6:30 a.m., the last emergency vehicle left the scene, and the highway was reopened.
Police said they are waiting on toxicology results from Burleson. The driver of the 18 wheeler is also submitting to a blood test, but police said they do not expect alcohol to be a factor with that driver.
The 18 wheeler was hauling cattle. The driver of that truck was not injured. The trucking company sent another truck to come pick up the cattle after the accident.
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Family, friends of Brownwood man express grief after body found, ID'd
Copyright 2016 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer
- Brookesmith ISD meeting on possible consolidation gets heated