ABILENE, Texas - The 2012 Mayor's Fall Hike, which will be along Cedar Creek, will take place beginning at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 20.
Here's the news release, in its entirety, from the city of Abilene:
ABILENE, Texas – The 2012 Mayor's Fall Hike along Cedar Creek will take place Saturday, Oct. 20 beginning at 9:30 a.m. This is a FREE, family friendly event that is open to the public and leashed dogs are welcome to join. Due to the terrain of the trail, strollers and bikes are not allowed.
The hike will begin where Cedar Creek crosses the 100 block of ES 11th Street, just east of Joe Allen's Bar-B-Que. Participants will travel north along the bank of Cedar Creek to Stevenson Park then return by the same trail. The hike route is approximately 3 miles long. Parking will be available at 170 ES 11th Street and signage will direct hikers to the designated parking area.
Some recommendations to ensure a fun-filled and safe hike:
• Bring water and sunscreen along
• Wear comfortable shoes; no flip flops or sandals
• Wear long pants and a hat
Before starting any wellness program or engaging in physical activity, consult your physician.
Participants will have the opportunity to take part in a trash clean-up as they hike along Cedar Creek. Collection supplies and trash bags will be provided. Those who would like to participate in the trash pick-up are encouraged to bring work gloves.
A map with parking information and route information is available at www.myfitnessabilene.com or visit the City of Abilene's website, www.abilenetx.com and clicking on "Hot Items" under the City Spotlight heading. This fitness opportunity is sponsored by the Mayor's Council on Physical Fitness.
- Brown County commissioners approve sale of old sheriff's office and jail
- Brownwood seeking community input on proposed dog park
- Police: Driver flees after crashing into Early apartment, found at liquor store
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Inaugural Barktoberfest taking place Saturday seeks to help Brownwood youth