ABILENE, Texas - Texas A&M International University salvaged the final game of the series with host McMurry University, winning the Heartland Conference bout, 13-2, at Walt Driggers Field.
The loss dropped the War Hawks to 15-20 overall and 9-11 in the Heartland. The Dustdevils improved to 13-23 on the year, 5-13 in league action.
TAMIU took full advantage of control problems by the McM pitchers. The normally-solid War Hawk hurlers issued a season-high 13 walks to TAMIU batters, as well as permitting 11 hits, resulting in the 13 earned runs.
Starter Ben Bates (1-5) was the first of five McMurry pitchers and took the loss. Bates worked 3.0 innings and was on the hook for five runs. Caleb Gonzales came on in the fourth, but could not get an out and was charged with three of the runs. Trevor Daggon walked six and was charged with two runs in 3 2/3 innings, while Chad Hayes was tabbed with three runs and five walks in his one inning of work. Jacob Foitek got one out in the eighth.
Catcher Greg Koll and infielder Jeremy Ruiz each went 2-for-3, accounting for four of the War Hawks' nine hits in the game.
Trailing 1-0 after the top half of the first, McM tied it at 1-1 with an unearned run in the bottom of the inning. Kyle Sargent reached on an error by shortstop and, eventually, scored on AJ Dupre's RBI single to right-centerfield.
Bates set down TAMIU in order in the second frame, but it would prove to be the only time McM would be able to do that all day. The visitors added a single run in the third and then enjoyed a seven-run explosion in the fourth, sending 11 men to the plate and making it 9-1.
Another single run in the seventh was followed by a three-run eighth, upping the margin to 13-1. McMurry clawed back for a run in the bottom of the eighth after Zack Hagan laced a one-out double and came around to score on Koll's RBI single. McM could get no more and the game was halted by the 10-run rule, 13-2.
The War Hawks will play a non-conference doubleheader at Angelo State University on Tuesday at 1 p.m. in San Angelo.
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash