HOBBS, New Mexico - The McMurry men's tennis team snapped a three-match skid with a convincing, 9-0, road victory at the University of the Southwest. The non-conference win improved the War Hawks' record to 6-8 overall.
At doubles play, McMurry's No. 1 team of Chris Breaux and Casjen Rico defeated Max Sladowsky and Thomas Mizera, 9-8. The duo is 7-6 on the season.
At No. 2 doubles, the War Hawks' Preston Steblein and Dustin Douglas improved the doubles record to a team-best 8-2 as partners, topping the Mustangs' Anthony Cena and Alfred Mohan, 8-5. At No. 3 pairs play, It was the McM duo of Felipe Cruz and Dani Perez making short work of USW's Alex Sandoval and Denis Sladowsky, 8-2.
At singles, McMurry won all six matches in straight sets. At Nos. 1 and 2 singles, Cruz and Breaux both had to go to a seventh game to win their first sets, before taking set two by identical 6-3 scores.
Winning at the Nos. 3-6 slots were Perez, Steblein, Cristiano Mendes and Rico.
McMurry University 9, U. of the Southwest 0 Mar 29, 2014 at Hobbs, N.M.
1. Felipe Cruz (MCMMT) def. Max Sladowsky (USW) 7-5, 6-3
2. Chris Breaux (MCMMT) def. Thomas Mizera (USW) 7-5, 6-3
3. Dani Perez (MCMMT) def. Alfred Mohan (USW) 6-3, 6-4
4. Preston Steblein (MCMMT) def. Anthony Cena (USW) 6-4, 6-4
5. Cristiano Mendes (MCMMT) def. Alex Sandoval (USW) 6-0, 6-1
6. Casjen Rico (MCMMT) def. Denis Sladowsky (USW) 6-1, 6-4
1. Chris Breaux/Casjen Rico (MCMMT) def. Max Sladowsky/Thomas Mizera (USW) 9-8 (7-2)
2. Preston Steblein/Dustin Douglas (MCMMT) def. Anthony Cena/Alfred Mohan (USW) 8-5
3. Felipe Cruz/Dani Perez (MCMMT) def. Alex Sandoval/Denis Sladowsky (USW) 8-2
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.
- Updated Mysterious fireball seen across Big Country likely a meteorite
- Police looking into social media accounts of suspects in Abilene realtor's murder
- San Angelo council to consider naming new member after embattled councilman resigns
- Reward offered for killer of 8-year-old Texas girl
- Hardin-Simmons to host regional in Division III basketball tournament
- 18 people displaced after Brownwood apartment fire
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program