ABILENE, Texas - The Consumer Price Index has increased over the last quarter and last month inflation took an unexpected jump. This jump was high enough for the Federal Reserve to worry.
This spike is the highest it has been since October of 2012. The food industry also had its biggest increase in costs since August 2011.
Food is not the only one taking a spike. Airline tickets, insurance, energy and gas prices are increasing as well. In an attempt to bring down inflation, interest rates could rise, too.
"People all across the Big Country have seen their pay checks not go as far and that's what inflation does," said Dr. Katie Wick, assistant professor of economics at McMurry University.
This is affecting food costs across the country. While there are many reasons for this increase most of them are weather related.
- 6 cows killed, deputy hurt in suspected drunk driving crash
- Residents of community near Snyder report not having water since Wednesday
- Texas wife sentenced to prison for killing officer husband
- Kidnapped Border Patrol agent says he feared for family
- 3-year-old boy dies after he's found in hot car in Texas
- State cornhole championship held in Abilene
- 5 car wreck on Winters Freeway, 1 injured
- 24-hour amateur radio field day taking place this weekend
- 2 taken to Abilene hospital after vehicle strikes go-kart
- CityLink addresses driver shortage with pay bump
- Friends of the Library raises over $60,000 at annual Abilene book sale
- Amputee golf tournament taking place at Lake Brownwood
- Owner of Brownwood restaurant and motel disputes $97,000 fine for health violations
- Budget shortfall affecting maintenance at Texas state parks
- Brownwood ISD, emergency agencies conduct response drills
- Early ISD continuing research on proposal to arm teachers, staff
- 4th of July celebrations around the Big Country
- Area's best showcase their stuff in the State Lineman Challenge
- Train derailed by strong winds in Mitchell County
- More than 100 barrels of oil stolen from Nolan County drilling company
- Brownwood battles heat, snags 7-on-7 state spot in duel with Merkel
- Wanted Wednesday: Abilene police looking for 2 capital murder suspects
- Police arrest 2 Abilene men for stealing car, breaking into 'numerous' vehicles in Merkel