ABILENE, Texas - A 54-year-old man has been upgraded from serious to fair condition after his motorcycle collided with a car on Hwy 277 at South Clack Street.
According to Abilene police, the driver of a four-door Buick was sitting in the turning lane – facing west – on Highway 277 preparing to turn into the Las Brisas apartment complex around 8 a.m. Monday.
"Eastbound traffic had backed up as the traffic light at South 14th and Clack was red," an Abilene Police Department news release said. "As eastbound traffic began to move, an eastbound driver, who was stopped in the inside lane, motioned for the Buick to begin the turn into Las Brisas. The Buick left the turning lane and began to cross the eastbound lanes.
"At that same time, a motorcycle was traveling east in the outside lane. The Buick crossed into the path of the motorcycle, which left approximately 40 feet of skid in an attempt to avoid the collision."
According to the news release, charges are pending the outcome of the ongoing investigation. Speed doesn't appear to have been a factor in the crash, the release said.
"Neither drugs nor alcohol are expected to be a factor in this accident," the release said, noting the motorcycle rider was wearing a helmet.
Abilene police said the motorcyclist was transported to Hendrick Medical Center in critical condition Monday. KTXS reached out to a hospital spokeswoman Tuesday morning and learned he was upgraded to serious condition. He is in fair condition as of Wednesday morning.
- Updated 1 dead after 2 vehicles go into water-filled Texas sinkhole
- Iraan grad rounding up support from Texas cheerleaders after deadly bus crash
- Updated Oakland fire death toll at 36, likely to climb as investigation continues
- Prominent Texas personal injury attorney dies week after daughter's suicide
- KTXS Forecast: One last shot of rain today, then much colder air arrives by mid-week
- 1 killed in crash on I-20 involving bus carrying high school cheerleaders
- Goodfellows spread holiday cheer in Sweetwater with toy drive
- Rangers turn completed Brown Co. Attorney investigation over to feds
- Ballinger man arrested for ramming multiple patrol cars
- Thousands attend Brownwood Christmas parade