SWEETWATER, Texas - The Sweetwater City Commission on Tuesday named Mayor Pro-tem Jim McKenzie as the city's new mayor.
McKenzie is taking over for Greg Wortham, who announced his resignation last week after serving as Sweetwater mayor since 2007.
McKenzie will hold the office until the next mayoral election in May of 2015.
Wortham is stepping down to run for the District 28 seat in the Texas Senate. Robert Duncan recently resigned the state senate post to become chancellor of Texas Tech University.
Meanwhile, the commission appointed Jim Lee – a retired Sweetwater educator - to take McKenzie's Precinct 2 position on the commission.
- Abilene trailer park tenants receive water termination notice
- Police investigating north Abilene burglary, witnesses give description
- Man arrested after leading police on chase in north Abilene
- Girl scouts pick up thousands of boxes of cookies for 2017 season
- Gun and knife show returns to Abilene this weekend
- Big Country man recognized with award for act of heroism
- Woman convicted of murdering Abilene police officer files appeal
- DPS identifies 2 arrested after high-speed chase on I-20
- Jury sentences Ranger man to 99 years in prison for mid-2016 murder
- Man jailed in Callahan County after chase, stolen truck crashes into DPS unit