SWEETWATER, Texas - The Sweetwater City Commission on Tuesday named Mayor Pro-tem Jim McKenzie as the city's new mayor.
McKenzie is taking over for Greg Wortham, who announced his resignation last week after serving as Sweetwater mayor since 2007.
McKenzie will hold the office until the next mayoral election in May of 2015.
Wortham is stepping down to run for the District 28 seat in the Texas Senate. Robert Duncan recently resigned the state senate post to become chancellor of Texas Tech University.
Meanwhile, the commission appointed Jim Lee – a retired Sweetwater educator - to take McKenzie's Precinct 2 position on the commission.
- 17 children adopted at Taylor County Courthouse on Adoption Day
- Texas spirit: How a fatal wreck brought hundreds of cheerleaders together
- Police: 2 Abilene men face federal charges for filming sexual assault of girl, 12
- Lineup announced for 7th annual Outlaws & Legends Music Festival
- Police need help identifying Abilene theft suspect
- Man, 24, killed in Jones County crash
- Reindeer involved in accident near Sweetwater weeks before Christmas
- Fire chief: 10 pigs killed in Sweetwater ISD ag barn fire
- Ranger College's Gillispie announces sudden retirement from coaching
- Brown County: Man receives 10-year sentence for failing to follow through on internet sale