SWEETWATER, Texas - The Sweetwater City Commission on Tuesday named Mayor Pro-tem Jim McKenzie as the city's new mayor.
McKenzie is taking over for Greg Wortham, who announced his resignation last week after serving as Sweetwater mayor since 2007.
McKenzie will hold the office until the next mayoral election in May of 2015.
Wortham is stepping down to run for the District 28 seat in the Texas Senate. Robert Duncan recently resigned the state senate post to become chancellor of Texas Tech University.
Meanwhile, the commission appointed Jim Lee – a retired Sweetwater educator - to take McKenzie's Precinct 2 position on the commission.
- Calais 'Jungle': Demolition of massive migrant camp to begin
- Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- KTXS Forecast: Cloud cover temporarily increases for Tuesday
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer