ABILENE, Texas - It's a historic time at McMurry University.
The Methodist University welcomed their new president Dr. Sandra Harper on Tuesday. Dr. Harper is the first woman to serve as president at an Abilene University. She's also the first of a different denomination. Dr. Harper is Catholic.
Dr. Harper come from Our Lady of the Lake College in Baton Rouge, Louisiana where she had been the president for the past seven years.
The Dallas native is no stranger to Abilene. She started her professional career as an assistant professor in the 80s at McMurry.
After Dr. Harper's arrival, she talked about leading from a different faith.
"Whenever you are in an academic arena, You always have people with different faith backgrounds," Dr. Harper said. "Interesting about an educational environment is basically exploring spiritually. College is a time when you grow academically and spiritually, emotionally and everything."
Dr. Harper will take her post as president of McMurry University on Oct. 1.
- Texan fatally shot girlfriend, her friend, his son, 3, self
- Police: Man robs New York City bank in ball gown, heels
- Updated Video shows man using stolen credit card at Abilene store
- Brownwood police searching for Jeep connected to pharmacy thefts
- Abilene veteran warns of Facebook scam about benefits