ABILENE, Texas - It's a historic time at McMurry University.
The Methodist University welcomed their new president Dr. Sandra Harper on Tuesday. Dr. Harper is the first woman to serve as president at an Abilene University. She's also the first of a different denomination. Dr. Harper is Catholic.
Dr. Harper come from Our Lady of the Lake College in Baton Rouge, Louisiana where she had been the president for the past seven years.
The Dallas native is no stranger to Abilene. She started her professional career as an assistant professor in the 80s at McMurry.
After Dr. Harper's arrival, she talked about leading from a different faith.
"Whenever you are in an academic arena, You always have people with different faith backgrounds," Dr. Harper said. "Interesting about an educational environment is basically exploring spiritually. College is a time when you grow academically and spiritually, emotionally and everything."
Dr. Harper will take her post as president of McMurry University on Oct. 1.
- Updated Security guard fatally shot at Central Texas Subway sandwich shop
- Updated Drive-by shooter targets police substation in Dallas
- Updated Emmy-winning actor and Fort Worth native Bill Paxton, 61, dies from surgery complications
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Breezy and sunny days ahead, a cool down on the way
- Updated Joseph Wapner, star of 'The People's Court,' dead at 97
- Chili Day and Auction raises money for children's programs
- Woman, 36, is 2nd arrested in connection with Abilene mother's murder
- Workshop at ACU gets people ready for gardening season
- McMurry professor highlights 181st anniversary of the Battle of the Alamo
- State seeks death penalty for man accused of killing correctional officer
- Brown County judge orders new trial for man convicted of child sex crimes
- Blood drive in Early held to honor deceased student
- Brownwood man arrested for forging checks found while detailing truck
- Lawmaker proposes ending Brown County Attorney's pre-trial donation program
- Wildfire academy held in Brownwood amid high fire danger
- TxDOT repairs section of Highway 6 destroyed by 2016 flood
- Ira ISD superintendent announces retirement after long career
- Sweetwater ISD makes choice for new head football coach/athletic director
- Brownwood man accused of conning people has criminal record
- DPS identifies driver, 32, killed in Callahan County crash