ABILENE, Texas - A Schmidt Industrial work site isn't letting a recent theft slow it down.
About $20,000 worth of copper and power tools were stolen from the work site in the 300 block of Plaza Street sometime between Aug. 1 and Aug. 4. Employees said it is the first theft they have ever had at one of their work sites.
"Whoever did it, they stole everything," Project Manager David Connell said Monday.
According to Connell, 300 feet of copper wire and multiple power tools were stolen out of their trailer while they weren't at the site. He received a call from the civil contractor who said the trailer looked like it had been broken into, but he was not sure if anything was missing.
Connell said extra precautions are being taken to make sure a theft like this doesn't happen again. Covers to the locks have been added because the thieves were unable to cut the back lock, but cut through the clasp.
"They couldn't cut the locks with bolt cutters," said Connell. "They tried to cut the back lock, but then they cut the clasp and got in the back."
Connell said although they are managing, the theft did cause problems financially.
"Everything makes a big dent when it comes to power tools and having to reorder supplies," Connell said.
Connell said he marked his copper with paint, which police said will help with the investigation. If the suspects are caught, the charge is a third-degree felony. The offender could face up to 10 years in prison and pay up to a $10,000 fine. Police do not currently have any suspects.
- Updated Big Country high school marching bands compete at Abilene stadium
- Updated Taylor Co. residents to vote on $55M bond to renovate expo center
- Bond set at $750,000: Son of ex-Brady police chief arrested for murdering mother
- Sheriff, family ask for public's help with Lake Brownwood murder case
- Sentencing phase kicks off in murder trial of Abilene teen
- Candlelight vigil held in Brownwood for domestic violence victims
- Brownwood domestic violence shelter holding candlelight vigil Thursday
- Brownwood breaks four month slide in sales tax collections
- Brownwood man faces backlash for controversial Halloween display
- Brownwood traffic stop leads to arrest of Abilene man, 21, with 42 grams of meth
- Fire at Abilene car dealership
- Football Friday Night: Latest scores from Abilene, the Big Country
- Brookesmith ISD board appoints acting principal in wake of superintendent stepping down
- Brookesmith ISD superintendent steps down amid talk of consolidation with another district
- Judge tweaks sentences for couple convicted of murdering Abilene police officer