ABILENE, Texas - Three Abilene elementary schools – Martinez, Ortiz and Taylor – sustained roof damage and Taylor Elementary endured skylight damage during Thursday's destructive hailstorm.
But as far as Abilene ISD spokesman Phil Ashby sees it, "for the most part we were spared."
"Fortunately, our transportation department is on the south side of town (across from Cooper High School) and received no damage," Ashby said.
One district vehicle parked downtown was hit during the storm, but no buses, Ashby said.
The storm ripped through Abilene on Thursday evening, causing substantial damage to numerous vehicles and buildings. The most severe damage was to the central and eastern parts of the city.
- Updated Video shows man using stolen credit card at Abilene store
- Updated Circus acrobats tie the knot on tightrope during Texas show
- Updated Judge: Reagan shooter can leave hospital to live in Virginia
- Updated Abilene mother fears daughter, 12, victim of human trafficking
- Updated Suspect sought in death of Texas journalist, investor