ABILENE, Texas - Three Abilene elementary schools – Martinez, Ortiz and Taylor – sustained roof damage and Taylor Elementary endured skylight damage during Thursday's destructive hailstorm.
But as far as Abilene ISD spokesman Phil Ashby sees it, "for the most part we were spared."
"Fortunately, our transportation department is on the south side of town (across from Cooper High School) and received no damage," Ashby said.
One district vehicle parked downtown was hit during the storm, but no buses, Ashby said.
The storm ripped through Abilene on Thursday evening, causing substantial damage to numerous vehicles and buildings. The most severe damage was to the central and eastern parts of the city.
- H-E-B donates $2,500 to The Food Bank of West Central Texas
- CityLink bus fare increases passed by Abilene City Council
- Abilene City Council responds to audit requests over water bills
- Truck flips after being T-boned in downtown Abilene
- Guardian claims disabled Abilene woman had $200,000 stolen from account