ABILENE, Texas - Three Abilene elementary schools – Martinez, Ortiz and Taylor – sustained roof damage and Taylor Elementary endured skylight damage during Thursday's destructive hailstorm.
But as far as Abilene ISD spokesman Phil Ashby sees it, "for the most part we were spared."
"Fortunately, our transportation department is on the south side of town (across from Cooper High School) and received no damage," Ashby said.
One district vehicle parked downtown was hit during the storm, but no buses, Ashby said.
The storm ripped through Abilene on Thursday evening, causing substantial damage to numerous vehicles and buildings. The most severe damage was to the central and eastern parts of the city.
- Updated Hunters charged in Texas shooting who had blamed immigrants
- Updated KTXS Forecast: Severe weather possible tonight, sunshine back tomorrow
- Updated Texas high school transgender wrestler wins regional title
- Updated Man arrested for slaying of Caldwell County woman
- Stepson talks how shooter, victim met before San Angelo murder-suicide