ABILENE, Texas - Demolition of the old control tower at Abilene Regional Airport is underway.
The airport's new, much higher tower opened in May of 2012. Airport Director Don Green said tearing down the old tower was always in the plans for the airport, but the Federal Aviation Administration is just now getting around to it.
Green said the old tower will be completely removed and the area will be restored to grass.
- Forecasters say parts of Texas – including Abilene – face critical wildfire danger
- 3 arrested for engaging in organized crime in San Angelo
- Job fair to be held at Abilene Convention Center
- House speaker getting firsthand look at US-Mexico border
- KTXS Forecast: Very warm tomorrow but a cool down to look forward to by the end of the week
- Abilene woman reunited with sister after travel ban struck down
- Man in custody after four-hour standoff in north Abilene
- John Lackey commemorative billboard to serve multiple purposes
- Recycling, parking, discussed at special Abilene City Council meeting
- Abilene police receive $10,000 donation for new K-9